Home > Communities > Other >

Looking for best option to send a thin and light book to the US...

Amazon Seller Topics
The book weighs 200g (packaged) and is 8 by 4 inches, and about 1.5 cm thickness ....

I've never sent anything registered to the US, but would that be the cheapest....and would that include tracking and insurance??

I checked for a lettermail rate but did not see the registered-mail option.

I guess my ultimate question is: how (what method) would you send this if you wanted tracking and some kind of insurance?

Thanks!


Is there a tracked packet option? I can't remember if that's only an international rate.


Dalek Caan wrote:
Is there a tracked packet option? I can't remember if that's only an international rate.


Not from Canada. There is a First Class Mail with tracking option in the US but nothing that converts to that from Canada for less. The Tracked Packet will get shipped First Class if it is small enough. Otherwise, you have to ship Expedited/Priority Mail.

I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with US shipping because I use a forwarder. When looking this one up, I did find that there's a similar priced option with Canada Post for non tracked small packages compared to what I would pay for FCM.

Have you looked into using Chit Chat? I save thousands a year by using similar services.


Would you know if there are any forwarding companies taking packages from Alberta across the border to be mailed USPS? I ship small light items that Canada Post doesn't provide tracking for. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
thanks kindly!


I'm sure Dalek-c would chime in.

For me (in Ontario) I looked into and it did not seem economical/workable. I would like to see if I am wrong...


Regal Hound Designs wrote:
Would you know if there are any forwarding companies taking packages from Alberta across the border to be mailed USPS? I ship small light items that Canada Post doesn't provide tracking for. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
thanks kindly!


I ship my stuff to Books to the Border Xpresspost. If your in Calgary, it will be cheap to do so and will be one day to Vancouver by Xpresspost.

For me, one package shipped to Vancouver and reshipped USPS is cheaper than shipping direct via Canada Post. While one package would cost $25 to ship directly, I can ship it overnight to Vancouver for $9, pay the $2 fee to Norma, and pay $5 for USPS shipping.

With multiple packages, it's a big savings.

When she was away in August for a few days, I did it myself. It was cheaper to drive to Vancouver, spend the night in a hotel, then drive to USPS the next day than it was to ship it all by Canada Post. I had 70 packages that day which cost about $350 in USPS shipping whereas it would have cost more than $1400 to ship via Canada Post.

Small, light items would probably be cheaper through Canada Post without tracking but is cheaper with USPS if you need tracking.

The only problem I have with shipping is Canada Post is frequently late on delivery.


Academic_Books wrote:
The book weighs 200g (packaged) and is 8 by 4 inches, and about 1.5 cm thickness ....

I've never sent anything registered to the US, but would that be the cheapest....and would that include tracking and insurance??

I checked for a lettermail rate but did not see the registered-mail option.

I guess my ultimate question is: how (what method) would you send this if you wanted tracking and some kind of insurance?



That's very helpful information! Thank you!


I primarily ship light packet without tracking USA and International and oversize letter mail in Canada. Orders for multiple items over about $70, I use tracked packet USA or expedited parcel in Canada so I have tracking on those. It's actually worked well with very few lost orders over the last 10 years. If Canada Post could offer an option to add tracking on small items even for a couple of dollars extra per package that would help a lot of sellers.


You're kidding right?? This is Canada Post we are talking about. Actually be of service to the customers? Not in my lifetime.


Mostlybooks wrote:
You're kidding right?? This is Canada Post we are talking about. Actually be of service to the customers? Not in my lifetime.


I hope that wasn't while you were in the middle of drinking your morning bevvie. It can be such a mess to clean up those sprays. :D

The dog article reminds me of a postie at the last warehouse I was located in. There were multiple businesses in the building. One of the guys had a dog that's part wolf but it was very well mannered. Curious though, so he checked everything out. The postie wouldn't deliver any parcels because of the dog. She even posted a note in the post office that there was a vicious dog on the premises. My pickup driver used to take the cards she left and would go together them from the drop off location and deliver then to me himself. Totally ridiculous.

Edited by: Mostlybooks on 14-Nov-2015 11:45 AM


Ironically, if that Edmonton street had community mailboxes installed, they wouldn't have to go downtown to the main post office to pick up their mail. The article says it has happened another time on that street earlier in the year.


')